This lesson is great for high school art classes or middle school art classes. It can be shared digitally with your students and is great for distance learning or as an in class project. All materials can be shared with your students via Google Classroom.
- A presentation to show your students that explains how to draw with an awareness of positive and negative space and how to create the illusion of form by using shading to define the edges. There is a PowerPoint and Google Slides version of this included for easy uploading or in classroom use.
- An edited video demonstration that shows students how to set up page and complete the drawing. It is sped up and cut so students see the drawing unfold from start to finish. In the video, I include important things to look for, and offer lots of tips and advice for creating a detailed drawing.
- A PDF handout that students can scan to quickly access presentation and video from their phones without having to upload them to Google Classroom.
- 3 Practice worksheets that break down positive and negative space and shading.
- 7 different reference images to draw from with instructions and guide marks.
- Instructions on how to split a PDF into separate pages.
- Teacher instructions and suggestions.
If you want to learn how to use Google Classroom for art check out the link below. In this product, I walk you through step by step how to set up classes, create assignments, upload resources, and grade student work.
In this project, students learn how to look at both positive and negative spaces when drawing. They build up values slowly in layers by shading using graphite pencil. Using white objects and a white background students see how light creates shadow and shadow defines the form of the subject.
This project is good for any level student learning about drawing and shading. I include instructions to make the drawing 6×6 and rendered in graphite but it can be done in charcoal, or on black paper with white charcoal or in any medium you choose. The reference photos and worksheets are good to have on hand and the project can be modified according to student interest and ability levels.
This lesson is also included in the following bundles. Bundles are a great way to get a lot of resources at a discounted price.
You can find more of my art lessons in my TPT shop here:
You can see more of my student’s work and project samples on my Instagram at
Don’t forget you can earn credits for $ off future purchases for leaving feedback. Simply go to my purchases and click on the provide feedback link below the product. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/My-Purchases